Monday, October 8, 2007

Interested

In Chapter 8 of Sex in Consumer Culture they report how MTV's "embedded commercials contain a a relatively heavy dose of sexual content." It makes me wonder although MTV has the highest average seconds of sexual content in commercials per program if they took into account MTV also has commercials that promote safe sex. The only commercials I ever see for condoms is when I watch MTV - I've never seen a condom commercial on NBC, ABC, or CBS. So, yes MTV does have a high level of sexual content in both their programming and commercials, but they're also playing commercials about condom use, preventing pregnancy, and negative consequences of unprotected sex. On NBC, ABC, and CBS during prime time it's full of sexual content, I'm not sure I've seen a show without it, but I don't see any commercials promoting safe sex - now granted, in recent times I have seen a commercial for planned parenthood, but I think tip toe around the subject. I also think shows have somewhat portrayed the consequences of unprotected sex in pregnancy terms such as the characters of Miranda in Sex and the City, Rachel in Friends, but I do think they need to make more examples and more in relation with diseases.

No comments: